What is a Ovarian Rejuvenation?
Women (even postmenopausal ones) always have eggs inside their ovaries but a lot (or all) of these eggs are dormant. Ovarian rejuvenation is a newly pioneered procedure intended to re-awake egg maturation and development within the ovary. Rejuvenation Therapy should be used to achieve pregnancy in women with Premature Ovarian Insufficiency (POI).
Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) Injections – PRP Injections is a technique where blood is taken from the forearm and centrifuged so the platelet-rich plasma is isolated and then reinjected back into the ovary. It is a minimally invasive vaginal procedure with the aim that PRP would activate your ovarian stem cells to become young eggs.
2. Another technique is to inject Patient’s Own Fat Stem Cells directly into the ovaries. Our body fat is known to have stem cells. In this procedure, fat cells are removed from the abdomen (similar to liposuction) then stem cells are isolated. Then the stem cells are injected inside the ovaries.
If you schedule a consultation with Garavelas Medical Group- Iolife and see Dr. Attanasio Garavelas, you may discuss the various treatment options available to you. Ovarian Rejuvenation is a cutting-edge fertility procedure and as such, is still considered experimental with unknown success rates and outcomes.
Ideal Candidates for Ovarian Rejuvenation Therapy
- Women with Premature Ovarian Insufficiency (POI) [previously called Premature Ovarian Failure (POF)]. Typically younger than 40
- Women with early peri-menopause
- Women who have a low ovarian reserve and those with low Anti-Mullerian (AMH) hormone (AMH) levels